Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Done for the Week: By Tempests Tossed


More irregular time this past week.  Family difficulties.  National holidays.  Unforeseen work emergencies.

This obstacle course required me to continue working on agility, while I got the following things done:


Done for the Week:  May 23 - 29, 2011
  1. Continued training for triathlon; biked once, swam once, ran twice
  2. Ran twice with my training partner 
  3. Finished A Weekend to Change Your Life, by Joan Anderson; Recovering From the Loss of a Parent, by Katherine Fair Donnelly
  4. Attended search committee meeting
  5. Did extra babysitting for my grandson
  6. Held jobs action
  7. Met for debriefing
  8. Completed major annual project for my organization
  9. Called my mother
  10. Continued to work my two part-time jobs 
  11. Went to see Jane Eyre with my daughter
  12. Published 4 blog posts 
  13. Wrote 1 gratitude journal entry
  14. Got my husband and son to the gym with me once
  15. Meditated 4 times
  16. Kept my new garden flowers alive, and planted more
  17. Contacted contractor to schedule bathroom electrical work
  18. Had lunch date with my husband
  19. Caught up on laundry
  20. Watched two playoff basketball games with my sons and husband
  21. Went out driving with learning teenager several times 
  22. Finished long-distance support of my mother, during my sister's vacation
  23. Participated in driving my newly re-employed son to his job
  24. Continued planning for trip to Seattle this week with my husband
Last week's focus goal was to "hang on, and continue to meditate, and breathe while I do both." I did manage to hang on.  And apparently to breathe, since I'm sitting here writing this.  I meditated more days than I didn't, but only just.  When I stuck to my mid-day meditation "routine," I succeeded.  When the day got away from me, and I allowed its middle to be trodden by others' agendas--four of seven days last week--not so much.  I made time to meditate (prior to falling asleep) on only one of the four disrupted days.  

I have started reading Martha Beck's The Joy Diet:  10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life , and find that her first "menu item," the one she wants us to begin with, is meditation--though she coyly refers to it as "Nothing."  It seems that most of the nonfiction books I pick up these days, in my relatively undisciplined search for peace, wisdom, self-correction, and amusement, involve meditation in one way or another.  All roads, it would seem, lead to Om.  Either meditation is saturating our culture, or, as The Secret's Rhonda Byrne would have us believe, I am drawing these personally needed messages to me.  But in any case, the importance of meditating is being hammered home to me again and again.  So I will keep on striving to "do nothing," for at least twenty minutes of every day.

And here's a test.  The morning is waning.  I am working on yesterday's post, so that I can progress to today's.  I am trying to get ready to leave town in two days.  I have already missed an important meeting so that I could attend a more important yoga class (I missed both classes last week, in favor of meetings and other work obligations).  And I am due at work in less than an hour.  But it is mid day, my meditating witching hour.  And so I am going to put aside blogging, so that I can do nothing.  For twenty minutes. . .

And now, I've meditated, lunched, and worked.  And I'm ba-aack.

Last week's most important accomplishment, I believe, was holding the jobs action I conceived and helped to plan; and meeting to debrief afterwards.  And for the same reasons that the previous week's most important accomplishment was planning said action:  the potential significance of changes we intend to effect in how jobs are being allocated in our city; and my own desire to graduate from being seen primarily as a techie with secretarial skills in an organization in which I contribute ideas, knowledge and skills outside that narrow realm. The action represented a significant step in our bid to learn more about the barriers to employment, so that we can take effective action to overcome them.


As of Thursday, I will be on vacation until next Tuesday.  I will resume posting on Wednesday, June 8.  Until then, I will focus on meditating, and on relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment