Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, May 23, 2011

Done for the Week: Back to the Breath

A couple of sunny days, and increasingly balmier temperatures last week left me smiling.  Spring may come, after all--with humid summer close on its heels, no doubt.

It was a fairly productive week, in any event.

Done for the Week:  May 16 - 22, 2011
  1. Continued training for triathlon; biked once, swam once, ran twice
  2. Ran twice with my training partner 
  3. Finished Espresso Tales, by Alexander McCall Smith
  4. Attended Issues Night meeting
  5. Attended special jobs meeting
  6. Convened meeting to plan jobs action
  7. Called my mother
  8. Continued to work my two part-time jobs 
  9. Met with website client
  10. Published 5 blog posts 
  11. Wrote 3 gratitude journal entries 
  12. Weathered my husband's end-of-semester collapse
  13. Got my husband to the gym with me once
  14. Attended 1 yoga class
  15. Meditated 5 times
  16. Kept my new garden flowers alive, and planted more
  17. Mounted attack on garlic mustard
  18. Contacted estimator for bathroom electrical work
  19. Completed layout on three ads for annual adbook fundraiser
  20. Had lunch date with my husband
  21. Resumed reading In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner aloud with my husband
  22. Cooked twice
  23. Shopped for groceries
  24. Caught up on laundry
  25. Watched three playoff basketball games with my sons and husband
  26. Went out driving with learning teenager several times 
  27. Entered negotiations with my husband, concerning upgrading of his heavily trafficked website
  28. Self-diagnosed radial nerve injury, and began do-it-yourself healing program
  29. Began daily long-distance support of my mother, during my sister's vacation
  30. Participated in driving my newly re-employed son to his job
  31. Spent extra day with my grandson during my daughter's illness
  32. Got the lawn mower started for the first time this season (no small feat!)
  33. Paid our monthly bills
  34. Made tentative plans for family vacation in July--our first in several years to someplace other than New Orleans
Last week's focus goal was to "find a regular time to meditate, and to build a habit by meditating at that time every day." While I didn't manage every day, five times is a notable improvement over no times.  I am challenged finding a time that works every day, since my schedule changes from day to day, and from week to week.  But most days I can arrange to sit for twenty minutes around the time that I stop for lunch.  If I am having lunch out, as I did three days this week--once with a co-worker, once with my son, and once with my husband--I can meditate either before or after, keeping to a mid-day time frame.  This is more difficult on the weekends, when more people seem to be needing more of my time.  I still need to work on keeping myself on my own list, and somewhere higher than the phone solicitors and Jehovah's Witnesses.  And so, the saga continues.

Last week's most important accomplishment, I believe, was convening a meeting to plan a jobs actionThis item trumps others on a relatively lengthy list for two reasons.  One is the potential significance of changes we intend to effect in how jobs are being allocated in our city.  The second is my own desire to graduate from being seen primarily as a techie with secretarial skills in an organization in which I contribute ideas, knowledge and skills outside that narrow realm.  The action is one that I devised, which was picked up by my committee.  And we met to put it in motion the next day.  It will be gratifying to see it happen this coming week.


The week ahead will present the usual amount of scheduling twists and turns, and then some.  I'll focus on hanging on, and on continuing to meditate, and on breathing while I do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment