Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Friday, June 11, 2010

Songs For Turning Things Around: My Personal Playlist

I started to think about this post a few weeks ago, as I reflected on the energy that music can bring.  Reflected, as John Mellencamp accompanied me on a challenging run, courtesy of my iPod.  


I put this playlist together today, so it has not yet been "road-tested."  Literally, while running.  Or figuratively, in terms of the road less travelled, the one I am venturing out on.  It may need some editing, as I listen for things to add, and to remove.  I chose the songs here for variety, and for how they make me feel.  I'm going for hopeful, resolved, and adventurous.  I have excerpted lyrics that speak especially to me.  


I welcome others' thoughts.


Songs for Turning Things Around--The First 10


1.  John Mellencamp --"The Real Life"


I want to live the real life
I want to live my life close to the bone
Just because I'm middle-aged that don't mean
I want to sit around my house and watch TV
I want the real life, I want to live the real life


2.  Sam Cook--"A Change is Gonna Come"


Oh there been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, Oh yes it will


3.  Phil Ochs--"Changes"


Scenes of my young years were warm in my mind
Visions of shadows that shine
'Til one day I returned and found they were the
Victims of the vines of changes
The world's spinning madly, it drifts in the dark
Swings through a hollow of haze
A race around the stars, a journey through
The universe ablaze with changes


4.  Patti LaBelle--"New Day"


Seems my life is finally coming together
Feel so good, don't think I've ever been better
It's clear to me my future will bring
The peace I've been longing for is mine forever more

It's a new day
Open my eyes and my path is clearer
( New Day )
Pushing ahead till my goal gets nearer

( New Day )
Spread my wings
I'm doin' things my way
It's a new day



5.  Mary Chapin Carpenter--"Holding Up the Sky"


I wanna feel what the wind feels like
I wanna go that high and feel no fear except being down here
Holding up the sky. . . . . Holding up the sky


6.  The Beatles--"Blackbird"


Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free
Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night


7.  Ziggy Marley--"Walk Tall"


Walk tall, walk tall
Even if you fall get up
Stand tall, stand tall
Even if you fall get up
Life is a lesson that we must learn
If you play with fire you might get burned
If you worry too much
You gonna get stressed
So brush off the dust
And lift up your chest


8.  Dolly Parton--"Change It" (from musical 9 to 5)

Somethin' got you down got you chained and bound
Well break it. (Face it)
If you've built a wall and know it needs to fall
Then shake it. (Replace it)
Somethin' that you know is dammin' up the flow
Tear the damn dam down.
Let me explain it.
If you don't take the reigns it's going to stay the same
Nothin's gonna change if you don't change it.


9. Tracy Chapman--"If Not Now"

If not now what then
We all must live our lives
Always feeling
Always thinking
The moment has arrived

10.  Stephen Schwartz--Defying Gravity (from musical Wicked)

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment