Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, June 20, 2011

Done for the Week: Less is More

I spent some time last week learning to do nothing--something I'm not so good at.  I've always been the whirlwind, the one with all the balls in the air, the "busy person" you go to to get something done.  

But I'm determined to master this new art.  Before I self-destruct.  The week's "done list" is still fairly long, but closer examination will reveal a certain amount of breathing room.

Done for the Week:  June 13 - 19, 2011
  1. Completed Week 4 of 15-week triathlon training program; ran once; biked twice; swam twice
  2. Swam once with my training partner 
  3. Organized training schedule
  4. Finished Saving Peacock Prairie, by Bernice B. Popelka; The Charming Quirks of Others, by Alexander McCall Smith
  5. Attended 2 yoga classes
  6. Attended Issues Night meeting
  7. Continued to work my two part-time jobs
  8. Created chains for two necklaces 
  9. Took two "just because" days off blogging
  10. Stepped back from organizational overcommitment
  11. Published 3 blog posts 
  12. Meditated 2 times
  13. Had lunch date with my husband
  14. Paid monthly bills
  15. Attended high school graduation of son's friend
  16. Celebrated Father's Day with my husband and sons
  17. Celebrated youngest child's 18th birthday
  18. Met with major new website client, made schedule for project
  19. Went out driving with learning teenager several times 
  20. Participated in driving my not-quite-licensed-to-drive son to his job
  21. Volunteered with recall campaign
  22. Continued spending time on, and making progress with, yard recovery project
  23. Spent lots of time outside in my swing, reading and relaxing
  24. Saw my therapist
  25. Supported my 20-year-old in his return to the academic environment


The most important 
thing I got done last week, I believe, was getting on track with my triathlon training schedule.  It was an almost daily battle to pry myself off the couch and get to the gym, or to hit the streets, the track, or my indoor bike trainer.  The weather was uncooperative, my schedule was jumbled, and my training partner was sick.  

But this is where the triathlete is made, in my limited experience.  The discipline, the focus, and just plain wanting it more than not, will get me to the appointed day in August, eleven weeks from yesterday, ready to run my race.  And along the way, I will get stronger, faster, readier, and more resolute--not to mention, calmer and happier.  All good.

And all traits that will serve me well in living the way I want, and doing the work I choose.

Last week's focus goal was to get organized for the summer, and particularly to trim the list of things for which I am holding myself, or allowing myself to be held responsible.   As you can see, the items I have highlighted include some not doing, which is a kind of progress, given my frazzled state.  I have more to do in this area. 

My focus goal for the week ahead is to begin to declutter our house, and to involve my housemates in the excavation.  I have been feeling the need to clear the decks for some time now, and it has reached the critical stage.  Visual clutter has blossomed into dysfunctionality, just in terms of space for work and rest.  It is also seriously interfering with peace of mind.  The priority areas for attention this week are the kitchen, my work room, and the bedroom I share with my spouse.  

And in between the necessary expeditions, I'll be on the swing. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment