Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Soakin' Up the Sun

I have been in desperate need of a change of venue lately, longing for the days last spring that I spent outside, on my corner bench, reading, journaling, writing, meditating.  But my recent "schedule" has involved zipping from one engagement to the next.  No time for the sun, outside of the sandbox.  Not that I don't enjoy the sandbox.  Or I should say sandboxes, since my grandson and I make the rounds of several in our neighborhood.  But while these visits do offer endless opportunities for imaginative play, what with building of theme parks and pretend chomping of various gritty concoctions, they are not especially reflection-friendly.  


This afternoon, I seized a several-hour space on my calendar which didn't involve leaving home, and defended it against several latecomer requests.  My reward is this peaceful period calmly restoring my frayed nerves.  Sheryl Crow is singing in the back of my head.


I'm gonna soak up the sun
Gonna tell everyone
To lighten up (I'm gonna tell 'em that)
I've got no one to blame
For every time I feel lame
I'm looking up

I'm gonna soak up the sun


Before I return to the grind, I'm going to make another appointment for solar therapy.  


I'm gonna soak up the sun
While it's still free
I'm gonna soak up the sun
Before it goes out on me



As winter approaches, I am thinking of storing up light, as the squirrels scramble for nuts.  We will both need the energy in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment