Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, March 26, 2012

Done for the Week: First Things Last?

I'm continuing to fight the good fight--with myself.  And I'm continuing to lose.  I just can't get it all done.  I can't even remember what it all is. 

Despite having read about a zillion books and articles on slowing down, and simplifying, and living at the speed of life, I find myself busier and busier.  New assignments creep in under the door while I'm not looking.  New wrinkles, in time, on my face, and in the form of complications present themselves at every turn.

Things continue to get done, somehow.  Not necessarily the most important things, but . . .


Done for the Week:  Mar. 19-24, 2012

  1. Biked twice
  2. Worked with physical therapist once to restore injured foot
  3. Continued reading Elizabeth George's A Place of Hiding aloud with my husband
  4. Read A Mind to Murder, by P.D. James
  5. Continued reading Proust's Remembrance of Things Past
  6. Continued to work my two part-time jobs
  7. Published 3 Put it to Bed blog posts
  8. Attended an Altitude Design Summit web class
  9. Continued work on current clients' projects
  10. Contracted with new client
  11. Prepared bid for prospective client
  12. Attended one yoga class
  13. Did laundry
  14. Continued college conversations with youngest son
  15. Meditated 2 times
  16. Met with Communications Team co-chair
  17. Co-chaired Communications Team meeting 
  18. Spent hours mocking up potential newsletter
  19. Helped take my baby granddaughter swimming for the first time
  20. Had lunch date with my husband
  21. Took my dog to the dog park
  22. Spent time digging out the kitchen
  23. Made arrangements to convert stock to IRA
  24. Made changes to the nonprofit website I volunteer manage
  25. Attended church service on e. e. cummings
The most important thing I did last week was. . .   Actually, I have no idea what the most important thing on this long and somewhat exhausting list was. 


Sometimes, I can answer this self-imposed question rather easily.  Something jumps out.  Today, I'm too tired to judge.  And to busy to take the time.  Not good signs.

Last week, I continued to try to focus on meditating and writing daily--or at least regularly.  

But, to my chagrin, "it's still not working."   I'm beginning to think I don't know much about focusing.  Maybe I'm missing the gene for this important human capability. 

If I'm honest, I have to admit that I never really give up trying to do all the other things on my literal and mental lists, so focus goals don't enjoy real primacy. 

For next week, I'm going to experiment with not setting a focus goal.  I wonder if it will make any difference to how I allot my time and energy, and to the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment