Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Stuff I'm Probably Not Going to Do in This Lifetime












I'm planning an easy day today.  So here's an easy post.

I've been thinking of my internal stress factory lately as an overtaxed computer, with too many applications and processes running in the background.  Time to "Force Quit" some of these energy-suckers.  And to "Trash" some altogether. 

By way of mental decluttering, here's some things I'm ready to let go of, from the ridiculous to the sublime.  There are certainly more dreams and schemes to divest, but this is a start.  I'm putting the following to bed:

Stuff I'm Probably Not Going to Do in This Lifetime

Have more kids
Win a Nobel Peace Prize
Win a MacArthur genius grant
Win a Pulitzer Prize
Enter the Peace Corps
Do an Iron Man
Become a concert pianist
Backpack through Europe, or India, or anywhere
Run for office
Go bungee jumping
Get taller
Get a law degree
Become a midwife
Learn to speak French
Pilot a plane
Climb Mt. Everest
Strike it rich
Bowl a 300 game (or, for that matter, break 200)
Become a singer/songwriter
Star in a film
. . .

Although it seems silly, perhaps, I have to admit that I've carried some residue of these aspirations well into my adult life, in fact past midlife.  Really.  And these are just the tip of the iceberg.  I'll need to dig deeper to return my everyday working hard drive to a cool running, streamlined, efficient state.  Purging could become my new addiction. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment