Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, February 27, 2012

Done for the Week: Still Climbing, Ala Winnie (Churchill, not Pooh)

The quote I put up for this week is from Winston Churchill, who said:
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
This, from a man who was famously hounded by "the black dog" of depression--which, in my book, lends some weight to this "sunny side" aphorism. 


Last week, as ever in the midst of my never-ending ascent, I was occupied with the following:


Done for the Week:  Feb. 20-Feb. 26, 2012

  1. Biked once; swam once with my workout partner
  2. Began physical therapy for foot injury
  3. Got my husband to the gym with me
  4. Continued reading Elizabeth George's A Place of Hiding aloud with my husband
  5. Read Willpower:  Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Roy Baumeister & John Tierney
  6. Continued reading Proust's Remembrance of Things Past
  7. Continued to work my two part-time jobs
  8. Continued participating in BlogHer's NaBloPoMo
  9. Published 7 blog posts
  10. Continued work on current clients' projects
  11. Met with communication team
  12. Attended two yoga classes
  13. Participated in phone call about my husband's retirement plans
  14. Did laundry 
  15. Babysat for my grandchildren, for their parents' first "night out" since new baby's arrival
  16. Continued college conversations with youngest son
  17. Meditated 2 times
  18. Straightened my work room
  19. Took my dog to the dog park
  20. Gave my husband minor assistance with taxes
  21. Scheduled my Leap Day anniversary celebration
  22. Scheduled potluck with friends
Last week's most important accomplishment was successfully completing 26 days of BlogHer's February NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month), which required posting a blog entry each day.  I am still relearning how much joy I glean from maintaining my blog.  And how much time I can make for writing when I make up my mind to do it.  

The week ahead will bring the end of this NaBloPoMo challenge.  I see from the BlogHer community that a lot of bloggers "re-up" at the conclusion of a NaBloPoMo month.  I am trying to decide whether to take on another month, in order to "set" my new work energy and orientation, or to move to re-focusing these assets on other writing projects.   I'll keep you "posted." [I know.  Groan.]

My focus goal for last week was intended to play to one of my strengths--reading.  I planned to finish reading Willpower:  Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Baumeister & Tierney.  This goal represented a kind of backing up with respect to my recently failed attempts to meet a focus goal of meditating regularly.  The idea was to retreat to an achievable rung on this apparently too challenging ladder, to experience meeting the goal.  I was anticipating some take-away from the book that would make it easier to re-establish and keep up with a meditation practice.

The good news is, I did read the book.  Though I didn't find it as "sinfully delicious" as its hype portended, and some of what the authors unveiled I had seen before, I did learn a thing or two.  I am still digesting what I read, and culling through the findings and suggestions.  I know I will write about at least one of the book's lessons in the near future.

As to meditation?  My baby-step focus goal for this week is to strategize; to figure out how to apply what I know and am learning to the problem of wanting and needing to meditate, but not making time for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment