Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Friday, March 4, 2011

Resting Up













I've written about sleep before.  Last summer, sleep became something of an obsession, as a change in medication temporarily halted my nightly sojourns in the land of nod.  That state of insomnia in extremis lasted nearly two weeks.  Sleep has been mostly a nonissue since then.

I am once again being reminded of its importance.  Unlike last summer, I am not experiencing difficulty falling or staying asleep.  I am having a hard time making time for sleep.

My days are passing in a blur.  An already crowded agenda is being pressured to accommodate an epic political battle and a preschooler's schedule-altering sniffles.  My evenings are spent working.  My blog posts are being written when I'd rather be in bed.

Earlier this week, I wrote that
As this goes on, we will have to learn to live in and outside of our ordinary realities.  We have a long fight ahead of us. 
We are at two and a half weeks and counting in our fight for the soul of our state; and for the survival of our citizens and the patchy safety net that has protected us from the worst that a failing economy has thrown at us.  It is time to start pacing ourselves.

I am going to start with getting better sleep.

Buenos noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment