Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Friday, March 25, 2011

Blogging in My Sleep

I came across an article this evening on "Navigating the Five Stages of Blogging Fatigue."  In case you're curious, and even if you're not, they are:  Excitement, Expectation, Frustration, Alienation, and Abandonment--a dead blog.

I'm fairly stubborn, and relatively indefatigable.  After more than a year, I am still pretty committed to continuing this endeavor.  I'm probably hovering somewhere between Excitement and Expectation, long after most bloggers have started to lose it.  But I am beginning to suffer from blogging while fatigued.

My husband keeps trying to convince me to relax my schedule, and to skip blogging on days when I get too late a start.  But the way things have been going lately, with work and family demands multiplying while my unpaid job as a citizen and activist explodes in intensity, I would skip more often than I'd blog.  

So tonight I'm making this small effort, instead of putting it off.  And I'm blogging about blogging.  

As a poet, I have (mostly) resisted the poet's self-indulgence of writing poetry about writing poetry.  I aspire to maintain a similar standard with respect to blogging.  So I vow to keep such dissipation to a minimum.

For tonight, though my pillow is lovely, soft and deep, I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.  (With apologies to Robert Frost.)

No comments:

Post a Comment