Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Thursday, March 1, 2012

BlahBlahWhatNow?

I have decided to create my own event, "borrowing" liberally from the now infamous NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) phenomenon, and the derivative project which goes by the equally inscrutable, and slightly salacious sounding name of NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month).  

I recently participated in BlogHer's version of NaBloPoMo for the month of February.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I observed that some bloggers sign on for another month of NaBloPoMo at the conclusion of a month of blog posting.  I had been deliberating about whether or not I should do the same 
in order to "set" my new work energy and orientation, or . . . move to re-focusing these assets on other writing projects.
And then it came to me.  I could invent my own month of what procrastination experts term "pre-commitment."  Since blog posts are not all I want to write, and nor are novels (not even the one I am halfway through), I need a more expansive variant.  I'm calling it NaJusWriMo (National Just Write Month).  

Of course, it will need its own "badge," for those who want to commit online and display that pledge.   

Ta-da!



And, of course, some rules, which follow:

1.  Establish a list of what you yourself regard as "legitimate" writing products--i.e., output that makes you feel like a writer.  This is individual.  For some, it might be a letter to your mom, a grocery list, your memoirs.  For others, it could be a blog post, your very own War and Peace, a Pulitzer-worthy poem or play or piece of reporting.  Some of us might feel particularly writerly penning a song, an ad, a screenplay, a doctor's excuse--fictional or otherwise--or a piece for radio. 

You will know what will satisfy your writing urge when you see it.

2.  Specify criteria against which you can measure said output.  E.g., minutes/hours; pages; words; lines; posts; etc.

3.  Produce at least one writing product which meets whatever criterion you have determined each day.

4.  Keep a daily record of what you produce.

For myself, this blog post counts as today's writing.

Please feel free to sign on, if this sort of structure appeals to you.  And to let me know how it's going.  

1 comment: