Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, March 5, 2012

Done for the Week: Leaps and Bounds, and a Bit of Limping

February was full of celebrations, this year even more than usual.  And as I am working with my physical therapist to repair my "gait mechanics," I am challenged as well to negotiate the choppy rhythms of my days with strength and grace.

March should present a more even surface.

In this last week of February, in between snowfalls and tantalizingly warm days, stress and happy moments, I managed to get the following done:

Done for the Week:  Feb. 27-Mar. 4, 2012

  1. Biked once; used elliptical trainer once; swam once with my workout partner
  2. Continued physical therapy for foot injury
  3. Continued reading Elizabeth George's A Place of Hiding aloud with my husband
  4. Read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, by Aimee Bender
  5. Continued reading Proust's Remembrance of Things Past
  6. Continued to work my two part-time jobs
  7. Finished participating in BlogHer's NaBloPoMo for February
  8. Published 5 Put it to Bed blog posts
  9. Published 2 ReVersing Course posts
  10. Invented NaJusWriMo, to keep myself motivated to write; and signed on for March
  11. Began to participate more in the BlogHer community
  12. Continued work on current clients' projects
  13. Attended two yoga classes
  14. Had dinner with friends; baked and brought a (not particularly sad) lemon cake
  15. Did laundry 
  16. Continued college conversations with youngest son
  17. Meditated 6 times
  18. Straightened my work room
  19. Took my dog to the dog park
  20. Made and communicated the decision to leave my current church, coincidentally on Leap Day
  21. Celebrated our Leap Day anniversary with a small late-night Champagne party for two on the actual day
  22. Made arrangements to explore joining new church
  23. Attended new church with my husband and a friend
  24. Saw Art Museum's Accidental Genius exhibit of self-taught artists with my husband
  25. Celebrated our Leap Day anniversary two days late at the County Clare Inn
  26. Watched an episode of Eureka with my son
  27. Watched Devil in a Blue Dress with my husband
Successfully finishing the February challenge of BlogHer's NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month), and establishing my own NaJusWriMo (National Just Write Month) in order to continue the writing momentum inspired by NaBloPoMo, constituted last week's most significant achievement.  I am looking forward to continuing to take my writing more seriously, and to making more regular time for it.  I am beginning to believe that writing constitutes, at this time in my life, the deep yes I wrote about searching for some weeks ago.

Last week's focus goal was "to strategize; to figure out how to apply what I know and am learning to the problem of wanting and needing to meditate, but not making time for it."   

For whatever reason, I ended up skipping past the strategy part, and going straight to the meditating.  However, some semi-conscious tactical work appears to have taken place.  The key elements of last week's almost daily meditating, after weeks of wishful thinking about meditating, appear to have been these:
  1. I identified a time of day that had worked for me in the past, slotting in my practice as close as possible to that time.
  2. I forced myself to meditate before lunch, which in turn preceded leaving for my afternoon job three days a week.  In this way, lunch served as a buffer that promoted the feeling of having enough time to meditate, and as a reward for having done so.
  3. I lowered the bar in three ways, so that meditation didn't seem so daunting as it had become:  a.  I shortened the time from 20 minutes to 10;  b.  I relied on relaxation videos of nature scenes and sounds as a way of easing into a time of quiet; and c.  I skipped the cushion that had become a nemesis, and did my sitting on the couch in my workroom.  I view these measures as a form of training wheels to facilitate my return to this "bike" I had become so accustomed to before.  My intention is to continue using them until the habit is stronger, and then to remove them one at a time until I am once again sitting unsupported.
 I observe that I am feeling somewhat calmer--though perhaps only because I am not spending as much time flogging myself about not meditating? 
For the coming week, I am focusing on writing and meditating, continuing the approaches that have been working recently.   
What comes to mind is Michelangelo's purported description of how he created his sculpture of David:  "It's simple.  I begin with a piece of marble and remove everything that isn't David."  I feel like I am engaged in the attempt to unearth myself from all the busyness and clutter that keep me from being who I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment