Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, March 19, 2012

Done for the Week: Up the River

Another crazy busy week.  And the coming one promises to be worse.  Lots of stuff seems to be getting done; not much of it particularly well planned.  Planning takes a bit more time and energy than seems to be available to me just now.

At any rate, here's the list.


Done for the Week:  Mar. 12-18, 2012

  1. Swam once with my workout partner; canoed once
  2. Worked with physical therapist twice to restore injured foot
  3. Continued reading Elizabeth George's A Place of Hiding aloud with my husband
  4. Read The Black Cat, by Martha Grimes; Rise and Shine, by Anna Quindlen
  5. Continued reading Proust's Remembrance of Things Past
  6. Continued to work my two part-time jobs
  7. Published 4 Put it to Bed blog posts
  8. Continued to participate more in the BlogHer community
  9. Continued work on current clients' projects
  10. Resumed work on previous client's large project
  11. Attended two yoga classes
  12. Did laundry
  13. Continued college conversations with youngest son
  14. Meditated 2 times
  15. Straightened my work room
  16. Attended Board meeting
  17. Attended Issues Night meeting; joined new voter id task force
  18. Traveled to Minneapolis with my husband and one son, to visit with my stepdaughter and her family
  19. Met my newest step-grandson
  20. Experienced a "wild ride" adventurous late evening canoe trip down the St. Croix River
  21. Celebrated St. Patrick's Day Eve Happy Hour with my husband
  22. Spent extra time babysitting my sick grandson
  23. Took my dog to the dog park
    The most important thing I did last week was traveling with my husband and son to visit my stepdaughter and her family, including their new baby.  

    I have often commented that my "blended" family is more like something out of a Cuisinart gone wrong.  At this late date in my second--and last--marriage, I wish to provide all of us with as many pleasant experiences as possible.  And although this one required sitting in a car for more than 16 hours, among other inconveniences, it was completely worth it.  Wedging a seven-mile canoe trip, between river banks dotted with snow, against the wind and the dwindling light, sandwiched into a 2-1/2 hours round trip by car from their house, was totally over the top--and again, well worth it.  A high point was rowing past an island whose trees were filled with blue heron nests, and watching the beautiful awkward birds take flight.

    We also took the scenic route home from Minneapolis, driving along the banks of the Mississippi.  The riverfront vistas of  bluffs and locks and aspen filled our eyes and souls with unaccustomed wonder.

    Back in the everyday world, last week's focus goal was "to continue the effort to meditate regularly and to write every day for the remainder of March."

    As in previous weeks, I continue to have difficulty pulling this one off.  According to all the magazine articles I peruse while on a stationary bike or at my physical therapist's office, all the books I'm slogging through, and all the blogs I consult, it should be a simple matter to effect these habit changes.  All I have to do is implement the programs dictated by the "new science of the brain," and voila!  I should be meditating and writing up a storm, as desired.

    But as with my governor's job creation approach, "it's not working."   However, I'm not being recalled--at least not yet--and so I have some time to get it right. 

    Next week:  same focus goal, same resolve in the face of anticipated same uncooperative circumstances.  I plan to tweak, and tweak some more.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment