Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Done for the Week: Still Crazy After All These Weeks


Last week was beyond busy.  Insane, actually. The craziness extended into yesterday, so I am posting what should have been Monday's Done for the Week today.

Here's the list of what I accomplished, in between obsessive absorption in weirder and weirder state political happenings.

Done for the Week:  April 4-10
  1. Continued off-season race training, returning to C25K; completed Week 6--three training sessions
  2. Finished The Sunday Wife, by Cassandra King
  3. Continued significant volunteer support to transitioning nonprofit
  4. Attended open house at new recall office
  5. Gathered signatures on recall petition; 9 hours total
  6. Attended Get Out the Vote Rally
  7. Voted
  8. Continued to work my two part-time jobs
  9. Published 3 blog posts
  10. Meditated 6 times
  11. Met with my meditation group for the first time in several weeks
  12. Called three references for lead organizer candidate
  13. Got one son and husband to the gym with me once each
  14. Attended 2 yoga classes
  15. Ran with new triathlon training partner
  16. Attended triathlon training party with Sally Edwards
  17. Had dinner date with my husband
  18. Registered for upcoming 5K event
  19. Got my last learning driver to driver's ed 5 times 
  20. Had dinner out with one son
Last week's focus goal was "to complete Week 6, and two of the three sessions of Week 7 of the Couch Potato to 5K program."   I received some news early last week that gave me a bit more breathing room with respect to the May 1st 5K I am planning to participate in.  So I decided not to push my training, given its less than ideal conditions the past few weeks.  

Instead of accellerating Week 6's completion, and attempting to complete Week 7, I decided to adhere more sensibly to the Week 6 schedule.  I was able to complete the three prescribed sessions, and am feeling more confident of completing the program at this point.  I even had a chance to run outside for the first time in months, when Sunday brought us temperatures in the 80s.  It was a pleasure to begin training with my new partner.  I am looking forward to her return from Costa Rica, and to stepping up our routine. 

I believe that the most important thing I did last week was to turn in 3+ sheets of recall petition signatures.  If we are to stop the assault on programs and people I am concerned about in our state, we will need to act to restore our fractured democracy.  My state Senator has been at the forefront of the ongoing efforts to abridge rights and dismantle the social safety net for our most vulnerable citizens, all the while championing tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations.  She and her colleagues have gone far beyond anything the voters were led to expect when they took office.  And they have acted with cavalier disregard for the rules set up to protect the process, and the rights of citizens.  I am hopeful that we are close to completing our effort to give the voters an opportunity to register their reactions to this new reality.

And in the meantime, I will continue trying to find a balance I can live with as we go "Forward, not backward," to borrow one of our movement's chants, this one based on Wisconsin's state motto.

No comments:

Post a Comment