Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, February 21, 2011

Done for the Week: Getting Stuff Done Anyway

As I wrote last Friday, I was not particularly successful at keeping my wheels on the rails last week.  Again.  

A fair amount of stuff still got done, as this list details.

Done for the Week:  Feb. 14-20
  1. Continued off-season race training, distracted by earth shifting beneath my feet in Wisconsin; biked once
  2. Finished The Choir, by Joanna Trollope
  3. Stepped up volunteer support to transitioning nonprofit, due to death in colleague's family
  4. Attended viewing, funeral, graveside service, and repast
  5. Worked my two part-time jobs
  6. Published 5 blog posts
  7. Wrote 1 Gratitude Journal entry
  8. Meditated 2 times
  9. Attended transitional jobs meeting
  10. Celebrated middle child's Valentine's Day birthday--twice
  11. Went to the movies with my two sons
  12. Had a lunch date with my husband
  13. Watched Treme with my husband
  14. Watched our 2 teams play 2 basketball games, with my son and my husband
  15. Demonstrated locally, and in Madison, with my son and my husband respectively
  16. Attended two yoga classes
  17. Learned some more new html tricks
  18. Took my dog to the dog park, with my son and grandson
  19. Spent one of two scheduled sessions on "novelling"
  20. Spent way too much time online, following political uprising in my state, "working" Facebook, Twitter, and political sites, and updating my organization's website to reflect on-the-ground scheduling 
  21. Spent an hour beginning assault on our basement with my son
  22. Reconnected with my brother
As I look over the list above, the time I spent with family, in red, seems most important to me.  The birthday we celebrated reminded me of the impending emptying of the nest I've been watching over for 33+ years.  I work at remembering to enjoy the time I still have under the same roof or in the same zip code with all my children.    
 
Last week's focus goal was the same as the week before--to "ease into the coming week, and to resist getting drawn into the vortex of other people's agendas."  One protestor's sign I saw gave my state's Governor F's in Listening, Math, and Playing Well With Others; I have to say I deserve the same failing grade in keeping my nose to the grindstones I've assigned myself to tend.  The death of my colleague's brother derailed plans on two consecutive days, and an explosion of democracy took much of my energy and attention on the rest.  (See Stopping for Death, and Stopping for Stupidity.)  We're still trying to decide if we're a Midwestern Egypt here in Wisconsin, so I don't expect things to settle down soon.  I'm just going to try to go with the flow, or the seemingly unending snow, or whatever else is coming my way.  

Next week's focus goal will be to meditate daily, no matter what.  For the rest, I'll be trying to hang onto the strap through the present wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment