Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, July 26, 2010

Done for the Week: It's Called Sequencing

I am kind of dragging today.  I think I've been underestimating how much the triathlon training is taking out of me, and not making the necessary concessions to this final, fairly intense phase of preparation.  I've been pretty much just shoe-horning the increasingly lengthy training sessions into my already busy schedule, and have left very little time to stop, much less to smell any roses--if there are still any, given that I've taken no time to garden this summer.


Here's the list of things I got done last week.


Done List--Week of July 19-25

  1.     Finished Week 10 of revised 14-week Sprint Triathlon training plan--4 weeks to go!
  2.     Continued assembling tri gear
  3.     Got bike fitted and tuned up, and had new seat installed
  4.     Finished Love and Summer, by William Trevor; 
  5.     Took my blood pressure daily
  6.     Attended Transitional Jobs Collaborative meeting
  7.     Spent two half-days training interim employee at nonprofit social justice organization
  8.     Worked on website for Transitional Jobs Collaborative
  9.     Continued my two part-time paying jobs
  10.     Attended gathering of my husband's extended family
  11.     Published 5 blog posts
  12.     Meditated 5 times
  13.     Wrote 7 Gratitude Journal entries
  14.     Wrote 6 Morning Pages
  15.     Continued cleaning campaign
  16.     Continued mini yoga practice 
  17.     Attended 3 yoga classes
  18.     Continued writing novel
  19.     Went out with my husband for Happy Hour; started reading aloud Elizabeth George's Deception on His Mind                                   
  20. Decided to reschedule family trip to Ireland
  21.     Called my Mom
Last week's focus goal was to continue writing, and making progress on my novel--once again, not something I found/made a lot of time for.  And given my energy level, and the demands of this last few weeks of triathlon training, I have decided to amend last week's plan to keep this is as my focus goal for the time being.  Instead, I will attempt to continue doing something each week to move this project forward, while recognizing that triathlon training is my de facto focus goal for this next four weeks.  In fact, it seems a bit disrespectful of this undertaking to imagine that I can achieve it without giving it much importance.  As the day of the race approaches, I am appreciating the magnitude of what I am trying to do, as a first-timer, and as someone who has not spent much time exercising in recent years.   

In red, fittingly, are last week's most important accomplishments--all triathlon-related.  

I intend to keep my eyes on the prize these next four weeks.  Not a trophy, or the medal all participants will "win," but the sense of accomplishment I have lusted after since watching my daughter cross the finish line at last year's race.  And the feeling of having reached down pretty deep within to find the courage/audacity and the perseverance and the faith to take this on.

1 comment:

  1. Go Mary!! I am very impressed with and inspired by your triathlon training!!

    ReplyDelete