Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Guilt-free Play: My Top 31



The last two days, I have been trying to implement Neil Fiore's advice (in The Now Habit:  A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play), interspersing "play" with short periods of focused work.  I am pretty enthusiastic about this approach, so far.  I'm not sure whether the production of the following list should be considered work or play, but isn't such blending kind of what we're supposed to be after?  Anyway, I had fun thinking about pleasant work-break activities.  I offer my favorites, and encourage my readers to spend some time coming up with their own.  
  1. Coffee with my husband
  2. Yoga
  3. Meditation
  4. Reading
  5. Sitting outside in the sunshine, dark, early morning, late afternoon, midday
  6. Walking my dog
  7. Swimming
  8. Running
  9. Biking
  10. Playing my piano
  11. Doing crossword puzzles
  12. Knitting
  13. Gardening
  14. Reading to my grandson
  15. Reading aloud with my husband
  16. Watching movies
  17. Listening to music
  18. Sitting in front of a fire
  19. Calling my sister
  20. Shopping at garage sales, consignment shops and Goodwill
  21. Playing games with my family
  22. Going to the library
  23. Cup of tea
  24. Relaxing conversation with any of my three kids
  25. Writing poetry
  26. Listening to radio, especially This American Life, Speaking of Faith
  27. Reading blogs (Some of my go-to blogs--Beyond Blue, The Happiness Project, 1000 Awesome Things, Think Simple Now, Unclutterer, FlyLady, Wildmind)
  28. Hammock time
  29. Singing
  30. Dancing
  31. Watching comedy reruns
So, now I'm done with my post for this morning.  I should just about have time to squeeze in one of these before heading out to work.  I think I'll take my list with me, just in case.



No comments:

Post a Comment