Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, June 28, 2010

Done for the Week: Still Revving Up


This week, I am dog-sitting for my daughter, and should have some time to get started on last week's focus goal, which was to figure out how to get some more satisfying writing accomplished.  I intend to get on that as soon as I recover from 8-1/4 hrs. babysitting a lively almost-three-year-old.  Here's what I got done last week, while I wasn't addressing my focus goal.  


Done List--Week of June 21-27
  1. Finished Week 6 of revised 14-week Sprint Triathlon training plan--returned to tentative running, after injury; too soon, as it turns out
  2. Finished Finding Nouf, by Zoe Ferraris; Lark and Termite, by Jayne Anne Phillips; 
  3. Took my blood pressure daily
  4. Attended Religious Leaders Caucus
  5. Attended organization's Leadership Assembly
  6. Participated in out-of-state visit to transitional jobs network
  7. Published 5 blog posts
  8. Meditated 3 times
  9. Wrote notes to three friends
  10. Wrote  7 Gratitude Journal entries
  11. Wrote 7 Morning Pages
  12. Continued cleaning campaign
  13. Participated in 1-1/2 hr. yoga class
  14. Went out with my husband for Happy Hour; read aloud a book we started together months ago; 
  15. Registered for triathlon
  16. Scheduled doctor's appointment I've been putting off
Because I didn't get to my focus goal, nothing is highlighted in green on this list.  In red above is what I consider my most important accomplishment of the week--finally registering for the triathlon I have been training for.  It feels pretty scary at this point, but I am putting together the pieces of a race-finishing performance, bit by bit.  I think it's at least as much a mental hurdle as a physical feat.  


In fact, I am awash in mental hurdles.  So this week's focus goal is to continue practicing mindfulness while beginning to clear the obstacles that have prevented me from writing what I've planned.  If I succeed, next week's list should reflect more time spent meditating, and more time spent writing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment