Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, June 21, 2010

Done for the Week: Two Steps Back



At the risk of beating a dead, or at least languishing horse, I will frame this week's done list by acknowledging that my ankle/foot injury has slowed me down more than I wish it had. Those who have had the "privilege" of living or working closely with me would tell you that I don't do slow very well. Here is the list of the accomplishments I crawled through this week.

Done List--Week of June 14-20
  1. Finished Week 5 of revised 14-week Sprint Triathlon training plan, with injury-accommodating modifications
  2. Went for free injury evaluation at Sports Medicine Clinic
  3. Followed up with referral to orthopedist for x-rays
  4. Spent hours icing, resting and elevating injured ankle/foot
  5. Finished Little Heathens:  Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depressionby Mildred Kalish; Hand Me Down Blues:  How to Stop Depression From Spreading in Families, by Michael D. Yapko, Ph. D.
  6. Began shopping for and assembling triathlon gear
  7. Took my blood pressure daily
  8. Published 5 blog posts
  9. Meditated 4 times
  10. Wrote 7 Gratitude Journal entries
  11. Celebrated youngest child's birthday, at two separate family gatherings--made two cakes
  12. Wrote 5 Morning Pages
  13. Continued cleaning campaign
  14. Continued mini yoga practice
  15. Cooked two good healthy dinners, including one for Father's Day
  16. Paid monthly bills
  17. Called my Mom
  18. Attended one meeting
Last week's focus goal, in green above, was to continue my cleaning campaign.  I am chagrined to report that not much cleaning got done, beyond the barest minimum of maintenance.  I hope to be a bit more able to maneuver this week, and to make some substantial strides in this area.  I am identifying a new focus goal for this coming week, however.  I am going to try to begin figuring out how I can organize my days so that I can start writing more seriously.  

Training and preparing for the upcoming triathlon, in red above, represent, in my estimation, the most important things I got done last week--for two reasons:  1) it was important to keep going despite sustaining yet another injury; and 2) the exercise is helping to combat my current mood difficulties.  A lot of what I've been emphasizing is part of an effort to build some kind of platform of self-care and general organization which will support my more substantive work, such as writing, social justice engagement, and parenting.  
But clearly, I can't keep preparing for my life.  It's time to start, as Woody Allen might say, "showing up."

No comments:

Post a Comment