Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, February 1, 2010

Done for the Week: More Time Outside My Comfort Zone















In looking over my progress for the last few weeks, I see that I am beginning to attempt more and more things that I have avoided doing for a long time.  It's like the process of nudging myself to get on with some nagging task or project is feeding on itself.  The feeling is alternately exhilarating and anxiety-provoking.    Here is my list of things I completed this week, that would probably not have gotten done in "my previous life."  Feel free to make your own determinations of which items represent big ugly frogs, which old nemeses, which pure terror.
  1. Completed Week 4 of Couch Potato to 5K Training
  2. Finished Throw Out 50 Things, by Gail Blanke; The Shanghai Moon, by S. J. Rozan; Eat that Frog!, by Brian Tracy
  3. Walked my grateful dog daily (except for Monday, when I was too bloody tired, and Friday, when it was too bloody cold)
  4. Took my blood pressure daily--I now live consistently in the prehypertensive zone, brought to us by the same folks who lowered the bar for high cholesterol
  5. Met with the personal trainer provided free with my new gym membership
  6. Started new blog (I may have created a monster...)
  7. Got called off waiting list to read at Poetry marathon, freaked out, then got it together and did it!
  8. Found missing poems for same (see new blog)
  9. Attended 2 meetings, and set up 2 more
  10. Succeeded in napping two-and-a-half-year-old:  3 for 3!
  11. Published 5 blog posts
  12. Meditated 3 times
  13. Finally turned in "Guest at Your Table" holiday season donation at church
  14. Saw Avatar with my husband
  15. Covered for sick son's dog-walking job for most of the week
  16. Agreed to new website gig
  17. Attended multi-sport expo with daughter; bought new racing swimsuit
  18. Mailed Heart Association solicitation to neighbors
I have also noticed that my lists seem to be getting longer.  I think it's safe to say, however, that "Went skydiving" and "Sailed solo around the world" are not going to appear anytime soon.  Speaking of the latter, I am taking challenge and inspiration from 16-year-old dyslexic Jessica Watson's blog, chronicling her attempt to be the youngest ever to complete such a journey.  And trying not to feel paltry by comparison...




No comments:

Post a Comment