Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, February 22, 2010

Done for the Week: Where Does All the Time Go?

Monday again.  


Unbelievable, when last Monday was about two minutes ago.    If I look at the time counter on this blog page, I see that 2010 is 14% complete.  And yet, I am still congratulating myself on writing the correct year on checks--on those rare occasions when I'm not using plastic, which knows better than I do what month, day and year it is.


14% into the twelve months I have allotted to get my stuff together and start putting it to bed, to revise the habits of a lifetime, and these weekly "done lists" still look and feel paltry, to my self-judging eye.  I probably should have established a baseline, so that the changes I am straining to maintain would be more evident.  Just for the record, items 1, 4, 8 and 12 are pretty big deals, things that represent significant departures from previous behavior.  3 and 11 are things I've done in the past, but that I am working, with mixed results, to make more regular.


Done List--Week of Feb. 15-21, 2010 (See, I got the year right again!)
  1. Completed Week 7 of Couch Potato to 5K Training
  2. Finished Coyote, by Linda Barnes, and Beyond Blue, by Therese Borchard
  3. Walked my grateful dog most days, including 2 trips to the hallowed dog park
  4. Took my blood pressure daily
  5. Went on one college visit with teenager
  6. Survived two part-time jobs for another week
  7. Attended 3 meetings; scheduled 2 more
  8. Published 5 blog posts
  9. Survived best efforts of gym's freebie personal trainer to kill me, again
  10. Baked brownies for church celebration
  11. Meditated 2 times
  12. Met with therapist to work on grief
  13. Completed kamikaze[1] kitchen cleaning
  14. Started new children's book
  15. Revised poem
I don't know if next week's list will be any more amazing, but having put last week to bed, I am ready to begin again.  My intention is to enjoy as many of the hours before me as I can, and to accept my efforts with equanimity. 


[1] common translation: "divine wind"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze.  Note:  no living beings were harmed in either the performing of this task, or the writing of this blog.  


No comments:

Post a Comment