Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, January 23, 2012

Done for the Week: Out of Time and Out of Focus

I am desperately seeking routine.  In particular, one that will support/permit the blogging productivity (two to three posts per week) that I aspire to. 

Once again, I have fallen short. 

Here's why, in part:

Done for the Week:  Jan. 16-22, 2012
  1. Made appointment with orthopedist to deal with foot injury
  2. Biked once, and did weight training--foot injury prevented additional dry-land exercise; did hip-strengthening exercises twice
  3. Watched two basketball games with various family members
  4. Continued reading Elizabeth George's A Traitor to Memory aloud with my husband--almost finished
  5. Read Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich; am in the middle of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" in The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle, and The House by the Sea:  A Journal, by May Sarton 
  6. Continued to work my two part-time jobs, putting in extra hours
  7. Published 1 blog post
  8. Continued work on current clients' projects
  9. Attended training and was sworn in as deputy voter registrar
  10. Attended new church as visitor
  11. Attended 1 yoga class
  12. Did laundry 
  13. Continued to support my son in his search for an internship
  14. Had lunch and breakfast dates with my husband
  15. Negotiated dishwasher repair appointment and customer relations deal; ongoing. . .
  16. Shopped for final family Christmas celebration
  17. Hosted final family Christmas celebration 
  18. Paid the monthly bills
  19. Meditated 3 times
  20. Continued major decluttering, getting rid of approximately ten years of old bills and financial reports
  21. Straightened, vacuumed and dusted living room
The most important thing I accomplished last week was the continuation of our household effort, mostly "womaned" by me, to dig out from the accretion of "the childrearing years."  I am entering a phase still short of "Maintenance", but beginning to be able to see more and more of the floor space in my ranch-style, full- (and fully occupied) basement house.  And lo and behold, we have closets!  And drawers!  And shelves and countertops!  I'm really counting on Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project promise that "outer order [will] contribute to inner calm."  If I continue at my current pace of outer "ordering," I should be comatose soon.

My goal for last week was to focus on walking; non-weight-bearing hip strengthening exercises; and swimming--and to make it to the gym three times. I can't say the week's effort was a smashing success in this realm.  As item 1 above reveals, I made it to the gym only one time, though I did manage to combine biking with weight-training.  I continue to have a hard time making myself swim.  Arctic temperatures, my hair-washing schedule, and a crazy round of appointments and activities provided a barrier sufficient to discourage my mild aquatic interest.  And despite my dog's encouragement (in the form of whining, and stealing pillows--his protest-of-choice), I didn't walk at all--other than from one job to another, and one room to another in search of sweets.  I did squeeze in a couple of hip exercise sessions, in addition to the one yoga class that wasn't preempted by an expanding work schedule.  But clearly, I could have done better. 

I had also planned to find more time for this blog last week.  Unfortunately, the universe seems determined to eat the time slots previously reserved for posting.  I'm not sure how this is going to shake out in future, as my work schedule and young-man-launching activities and obligations are growing like Topsy just now.  I am particularly challenged by an erratic schedule, which changes from day to day, week to week, and semester to semester. 

My focus goal for this coming week is to schedule three exercise sessions, three meditation sessions, and publishing of two blog posts (in addition to this one); and to stick to the schedule as circumstances permit, and re-work it, as they demand.

Wish me luck.  I don't seem to be especially good at "pre-meditated" work. (Pardon the pun, which I confess was intended.)

No comments:

Post a Comment