Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Thursday, January 6, 2011

In Spanish, It's Mañana





















For some reason, I'm thinking about tomorrow today.  And this, despite my yoga teacher's admonishment about my mind "wandering into the future, or into the past, all places the mind likes to go." 


Tomorrow--the particular one that follows this particular today--is of no special significance to me.  It is one day closer to what my grandson is calling "Polar Express Day," the day he is coming to Nana's house to watch The Polar Express while eating popcorn and the colored marshmallows he requested.  And one day closer to all other subsequently scheduled events, those I'm looking forward to and those I'm dreading.  And once again, the first day of the rest of my life, and one day closer to its end.


Maybe it's the New Year that has me pondering the constructed temporal divisions we use to torture ourselves.  Or maybe it's the ubiquity of the word "tomorrow" in procrastination lit, in which I am steeped of "late." As in the t-shirt slogan pictured here.  And these clever truisms:  "Procrastinators Unite--Tomorrow!;" "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do t ;" or in a "Masked Procrastinator" cartoon, "Protecting her city from crime and evildoers. . .maybe this afternoon or sometime tomorrow if she gets a chance."


As part of this philosophical distraction, I thought I should consult works of a slightly higher tone, so I Googled some "tomorrow" quotes.  Below are some I found worth chewing on.


You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
Abraham Lincoln 



War is a poor chisel to carve out tomorrow.
Martin Luther King, Jr. 



Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
Pablo Picasso 



Don't take tomorrow to bed with you.
Norman Vincent Peale 



Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.
Leo Buscaglia 



Tomorrow is only found in the calendar of fools.
Og Mandino 



Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement.
Snoopy 



Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow.
Horace 



Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day.
Samuel Butler 



One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind.
Dorothea Lange 



The word tomorrow was invented for indecisive people and for children. 
Ivan Turgenev 


Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
Mary Anne Radmacher



Many fine things can be done in a day if you don't always make that day tomorrow.
Anonymous

We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today,
Stacia Tauscher

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi


Despite what I have learned, and am learning, I am unlikely to solve the problem of tomorrow today. Or tomorrow. For now, I guess I'll just concentrate on not getting ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment