Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Some Things I'm Thankful I Didn't Put Off

I have better things to do today than prattle on over the internet.  And for that, I am grateful.  


But because I am also appreciative of the gift that blogging has been to me this past year, I don't want to let the day go by without this brief post.


Here, then, is a short and nonexhaustive list of some things I treasure in my life, all of which came to me as a result of not procrastinating.  In fact, all involved rashness, or foolhardiness, or seizing the day.  (They are not, by the way, enumerated in order of importance, or affection. They are secretly alphabetical.)


1.  My oldest child, conceived inadvertently at the worst possible time, which turned out to be the best possible time, who has grown into my very good friend and the mother of my best, and only, grandchild.
2.  My youngest child, also inopportune, also precious, who turned my world on its ear in ways I can never regret, and whose gifts and struggles are so like my own.
3.  My partner in life, who brings magic, and pain, and friendship, and bad jokes, and intellectual companionship and strife, and a small hole in my heart when he's gone.
4.  My dog and roommate, whom I had no business bringing home to live with us just one week after his much-mourned predecessor died, and who makes me glad every day that I did.
5.  My middle child, who came to me like a lottery winning, in the most unlikely way, who has taught me a large part of what I know, and who continues to surprise me with his generous heart.


Life has blessed me, and in these instances I have managed not to get in its way.  And for that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment