Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, November 22, 2010

Done for the Week: So Much for Focus


This week's preamble will be short and sweet, as I am writing against the clock, and in need of sleep.  Here's what I got done last week:

Done for the Week:  Nov. 15-21
  1.  Continued off-season race training, in still-not-finding-the-time-to-step-it-up mode; biked twice, ran once
  2. Finished Slow Down . . . and Get More Doneby Marshall Cook.  (Still in the middle of several other books; started two more.)
  3. Continued significant support of transitioning not-for-profit organization--beginning to taper off
  4. Worked my two part-time jobs
  5. Published 5 blog posts
  6.  Meditated 3 times
  7.  Wrote 5 Gratitude Journal entries
  8. Wrote 3 Morning Pages
  9. Spent 3 hours working on my novel
  10. Finished helping my husband prepare for his month away
  11. Took my husband to the airport, an hour and a half away
  12. Attended 2 yoga classes
  13. Walked my dog three times, once with my son, twice at dog park with my husband
  14. Watched our two favorite basketball teams play 6  games, with son and husband
  15. Attended women’s ensemble rehearsal
  16. Attended church; performed with women's ensemble
  17. Met my goal for number of participants from my congregation at large public meeting
  18. Attended public meeting rehearsal
  19. Organized and attended pre-meeting dinner
  20. Attended public meeting, and fulfilled my roles
  21. Snatched what time I could outside, reading
  22.  Cleaned out my purse, and reorganized it
  23. Survived second week with absent son, visiting his sister out of state
  24. Maintained living room, worked on kitchen, and recruited some  help with the dishes
  25.  Cleaned and straightened family room
  26. Paid bills
  27. Cooked dinner with my son
  28. Survived overcommitment stress, and made plans to cut back and to deal better with stress
  29. Saw new Harry Potter movie with my family

Last week's most important accomplishment, in red above, was making it through this difficult week.  This survival enterprise provided the fodder for two of last week's blog posts.  If the treatment took, I should be seeing less of such weeks.  

Last week's focus goal, highlighted in deeper green above, was to begin to extricate myself from the bramble of the non-profit which is one of my two employers, and also a great sinkhole for my volunteered energies and talents.  I have a ways to go, but continue to see the wisdom of the necessary dialing back.  One particularly painful lesson was delivered midweek, and should be enough to reinforce my resolve to put this relationship on a more self-preserving footing.

I have decided to take a break from focus goals this upcoming week.  With holiday travel plans, a disrupted work schedule, and the first week of my husband's month-long absence, I can use the vacation from the pressure I have been putting on myself, and from the disappointment of not meeting my apparently unrealistic expectations.  I'm going to just let the week unfold, and see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment