Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Putting Off the Bad Stuff















In Tuesday's Procrastinating 101 post, I related the thoughts of Marshall Cook about worrying and how it relates to procrastination.  Worrying is something I excel at.  (We all need to be good at something, right?)  My therapist recently advised me to set aside a certain time for worrying, and when random anxious thoughts arise, to redirect them to the appointed hour.  (Easy for her to say!)


But that got me thinking about why I don't seem to procrastinate about worrying.  Why don't I arrange to put off until tomorrow what I could worry about today?  And what other negative emotions and behaviors do I exempt from my tendency to postpone?  What if I just didn't get around to getting irritated about other people's table manners?  What if I couldn't make time for self-critical remarks?  Maybe I could harness the power of procrastination for good. . . .


Maybe I could even procrastinate about procrastinating, as in this quote from Gerald Vaughan:  "Procrastination is something best put off until tomorrow."  

No comments:

Post a Comment