Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, August 16, 2010

Done for the Week: Harnessing My Chariot

After many weeks of preparation, I am in the home stretch for Sunday's triathlon.  I am having a hard time thinking of anything else at this point.  But life goes on, before and after this significant athletic challenge.  I am grateful for the other things that require my attention and effort as I anticipate my post-tri life, and its inevitable let down.  Here is what I got done last week, including but not limited to getting ready for the race.


Done List--Week of Aug. 9-15



  1. Finished Week 13 of revised 14-week Sprint Triathlon training plan--1 week to go!
  2. Attended Open Water Swim Clinic
  3. Attended Race Simulation
  4. Made (more) final adjustments to gear, supplies
  5. Continued to work on improving sleep
  6. Finished 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith;
  7. Continued significant support to transitioning nonprofit organization
  8. Attended Board meeting
  9. Attended Issues Night meeting
  10. Worked my two part-time jobs
  11. Published 5 blog posts
  12. Meditated 4 times
  13. Wrote 5 Gratitude Journal entries
  14. Wrote 4 Morning Pages
  15. Continued cleaning campaign
  16. Attended 1 yoga class
  17. Went out with my husband for Happy Hour twice; continued reading aloud Elizabeth George's In the Presence of the Enemy
  18. Called my Mom
  19. Got dog bathed and his nails clipped
Highlighted in green are the by now predictable triathlon-related tasks that I checked off over the previous seven days.  For one more week, the triathlon will remain my focus.  The test in the weeks to come will be how well I can incorporate some of the discipline and outlook, and just plain continued commitment to exercise, into my "life after tri."  

In red is what I regard as last week's most important accomplishment--continuing to meditate in the face of the anxiety storms of the last few weeks, and the busy-ness of my work and volunteer schedule.  I hope to improve on this in the coming week, as my training schedule tapers in order to consolidate strength and energy.  I am convinced that an ongoing practice of meditation is key to living my life as I want it to be.  It is not always easy to make time for sitting, and to respect and defend that time against competing interests.  But it is worth doing so.  

For now, it's T minus 6 days and counting. . . .  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment