Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, April 12, 2010

Done for the Week: A Change of Venue

Last week I took my act on the road.  Five days away from my usual environment and out of my comfort zone took their toll on my body.  Yesterday afternoon saw me falling asleep on the glider in my backyard while reading the last few pages of a well-written mystery.  

I learned a few important things on my trip.  First of all, I found that being with my Mom in the community where my Dad had died and is buried was stressful--which probably means I need to go more frequently to make some progress in accepting his death and my need to grieve.  (See earlier posts Grief Postponed:  Part I, and Grief Postponed:  Part II.)
Secondly, I discovered a need I have to spend more time with my Mom.  Thirdly, I realized how extremely bad I am at relaxing.  And fourthly, I reconnected with my constructed ability to endure and even enjoy air travel, which bodes well for a possible trip out of the country later this year.  All of this led to, and/or stemmed from the following list of activities:

Done List--Week of Apr.5-11
  1. Completed Week 8 of Couch Potato to 5K training (again!)
  2. Finished The Lighthouse, by P. D. James; The on-time, on-target manager:  how a "last-minute manager" conquered procrastination, by Ken Blanchard and Steve Gottry  
  3. Took my blood pressure daily, while on "vacation"
  4. Attended no meetings; scheduled none
  5. Published 5 blog posts
  6. Meditated 5 times
  7. Succeeded in napping resistant 2 year-old once
  8. Finished my part of large volunteer project in time to leave for New Orleans
  9. Attended Wicked in New Orleans, with attendant dinner out
  10. Took my Mom to a movie
  11. Got through airport security twice, lived through two last-minute destination and schedule changes due to flight delays
  12. Made new friend on one long flight
  13. Helped Mom with paperwork, repairs
  14. Worked on relaxing in sunshine with Mom and her dog, for the better part of three days
  15. Rescinded an unwanted commitment 
  16. Participated in 2 Women's Ensemble performances in church
  17. Spent time talking with my youngest teenager
My progress on last week's focus goal--to meditate 5 times, while on vacation--is highlighted in green above.  As we can all clearly see, my goal was met.  Because I was traveling, and at the mercy of planes and relatives, I had to squeeze my meditating into any available crevice in the days, so this was something of a feat. I have decided to keep the same focus goal for at least another week, so that I can continue to establish a practice that will support my need for a more calm and mindful state.   This week, I hope to try to implement my plan to meditate regularly (most days) after lunch.  

In red above, I have identified my most important achievement of last week--in my opinion. I think it speaks for itself.  

Now to bring some of last week's lessons back home. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment