Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Monday, October 10, 2011

Done for the Week: Against the Wind

I turned another year older last week.

Time rushes by, and fans me, my good intentions, and my big dreams as it passes.

Here's what I got done against the wind:


Done for the Week:  Oct. 3-Oct. 9, 2011
  1. Continued 5K training with my youngest son, in preparation for his first race--Finished Week 6 of 9 Week program
  2. Ran once; swam once; biked once
  3. Read Away, by Amy Bloom
  4. Continued to work my two part-time jobs 
  5. Published 2 blog posts
  6. Continued significant work on current clients' projects
  7. Held third tutoring session with clients
  8. Registered for upcoming Fall Classic 5K with my son
  9. Attended first week of four week Run Better class with triathlon coach Lauren Jensen
  10. Had informal consultation with guest orthopedic physical therapist concerning persistent knee injury
  11. Participated in 12 mi. Breast Cancer Awareness Ride
  12. Continued to give substantial support to my pregnant daughter and her family
  13. Found my lost cell phone
  14. Did laundry
  15. Fixed my husband's bird bath with my grandson's help
  16. Began clean-up of our ravine with both sons and my grandson
  17. Celebrated my birthday
  18. Held joint family party for my birthday and my daughter's birthday
  19. Took my dog to the dog park twice, once with my husband, once with my son and grandson
  20. Watched episodes of Eureka with my oldest son
  21. Took our Isuzu Oasis in to investigate deafening exhaust system noise
  22. Continued reading Elizabeth George's A Traitor to Memory aloud with my husband
  23. Continued raising money for New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity on my Facebook Birthday Wish--exceeded my goal of $250
  24. Attended Communications Team meeting
The "most important thing" I did last week, again, was supporting my daughter and her family in her high-risk pregnancy.  A seemingly endless round of medical appointments, a last stressful week before leaving her job on an early, extended maternity leave, and increasing fatigue left my daughter in need of many more hours of relief child care than we had scheduled for.  This week promises to be a bit easier for all of us, with fewer appointments and the absence of work pressures.  But as her health is expected to worsen as the pregnancy progresses, we are just trying to take it one day at a time.  Her needs will remain a priority for the weeks to come.



Last week's focus goal, for the third week running, was to "meditate at least three times.My grade?   F!  Not even F+.  I ended each day in a near stupor, with just enough energy to close my eyes before losing consciousness.  Not enough oomph left for sitting and breathing, or the effort of thinking of nothing.  

I have several hypotheses about my current state of exhaustion.  The most likely explanation has to do with an increasingly crazy and precipitously changing schedule, which has left no time for self-care, including meditation.  I am running on an energy deficit, clearly not a situation that can go on beyond the short term. 

So next week's focus goal?  Make some time for resting and taking care of myself and my home, and staying loose about how that will get done; meditating if I can manage it, sleeping as needed, a hot cup of tea and a good book in my swing in the yard. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment