Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Done for the Week: Ready to Reconnect


While I was getting around to finally getting this post up, it turned into the first day of September.  And the first day of my intended blog reform.  My worst week of blogging, followed by cleaning up my act.  That's the plan, anyway.

I did get some things done last week, and here's the list:

Done for the Week:  Aug. 22-28, 2011
  1. Relaxed and enjoyed my post-triathlon glow
  2. Tracked down my bike pump lost on bus at the triathlon
  3. Returned rented wetsuit, and made plans to purchase
  4. Attended introductory spin class
  5. Went to outdoor water park with my kids and grandson
  6. Launched 5K training program with my youngest son, in preparation for his first race
  7. Babysat while my daughter and her husband watched the Brewers beat the Cubs
  8. Went out for breakfast with my son
  9. Finished Good Things I Wish You, by A. Manette Ansay
  10. Continued to work my two part-time jobs 
  11. Provided technical assistance to nonprofit organization
  12. Published 1 blog post
  13. Continued reading Elizabeth George's In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner aloud with my husband
  14. Continued significant work on current clients' projects
  15. Purchased new laptop tote for my new business
  16. Attended 9 to 5 National Day of Action
  17. Helped my husband prepare/pack for trip to Kenya
  18. Joined my husband's family (in his absence) for lunch
  19. Did laundry
  20. Called my mom and sent tri pictures

Last week's focus goal was to "come down gently, and as little as possible, from Cloud 9-3/4."  I can honestly say I pretty much devoted myself to that pursuit.  I even managed to continue reveling while helping my stressed-out husband survive the start of a new semester and leaving for a ten-day international trip.  

I realized, in the process, that it has been a long time since I have had that feeling that "God [or whoever] is in her/his heaven, and all is right with the world."  I should probably try to stay in practice more, so I don't get the spiritual bends ascending to this relative height.

I believe my most important accomplishment last week, supported by my happy mood and my less-training-intensive schedule, was the attention I was able to give members of my family.   I know I have missed them, and I believe they have missed me, as the amount of time I spent training and preparing for the triathlon, working on a recall campaign, and accidentally starting a small business, has engulfed my recent weeks.  

It seems that the way balance works in my life, when it does, is as a wild ride--consisting of going too far in one direction, and then taking drastic action to right things by going too far in the opposite direction.  I'm not sure if I can, or should, learn another way. . . .

Next week's focus goal? Resuscitate the blog I have neglected over the summer.  My recovery plan is to post four days a week, Monday through Thursday, taking off time for major holidays and traveling.

It's September, "back to" time.

No comments:

Post a Comment